Certification with the Carolinas-Virginia MSDC provides you with valuable resources to help your business grow and succeed. The Carolinas-Virginia MSDC can offer your business an excellent opportunity to meet with corporate and public sector buyers who are interested in working with qualified MBEs.
To become a Certified Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), your business must meet the following requirements.
- Your business is a for-profit enterprise.
- Your business is physically located in the United States or its trust territories.
- Your business is at least 51% ethnic minority-owned. “Ethnic minority-owned” is defined as any business having owner(s) belonging to the following minority groups: Asian, Black, Hispanic and Native American.
- The minority/ethnic owner(s) of the business are U.S. citizens.
- The minority/ethnic owner(s) of the business must be active in management and daily business operations.
Qualified MBEs must be physically located in North or South Carolina, Central/Eastern/Western Virginia and authorized by the State and County to do business. Minority status constitutes anyone belonging to one of following ethnic group:
- African-American: A U.S. citizen having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
Asian-Indian: A U.S. citizen whose origins are from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Asian-Pacific: A U.S. citizen whose origins are from Japan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Thailand, Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific or the Northern Marianas.
Hispanic-American: A U.S. citizen of true-born Hispanic heritage, from any of the Spanish-speaking areas of the following regions: Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean Basin. Brazilians shall be listed under Hispanic designation for review and Certification purposes.
- Native- American: A person who is an American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut or Native Hawaiian, and regarded as such by the community of which the person claims to be a part. Native-Americans must be documented members of a North American tribe, band or otherwise organized group of native people who are indigenous to the continental United States and proof can be provided through a Native-American Blood Degree Certificate (i.e., tribal registry letter, tribal roll register number).
(*)For Information on the CVMSDC Certification Process click here.